THE BEST ANALYZER!!!
Eyes are not music sensors!!!
There are so many advantages in today’s working in the box way of producing music, that almost the process of making music is not musical but technical. It is very important to not be a deceived by the computer monitor, or the numbers of the db that you are adding or cutting, focus on what you hear, because the ears are the best analyzer.
Don’t be concern how the song looks on your computer monitor, but how it sounds on your monitor speakers!
As every young mix and mastering engineer you watch different videos, you study different rules and methods all the time, what is very good thing, but you must not forget that all of those methods must serve to the musical vision that you have.
The mix and mastering methods are THE WAY to the product, they are NOT the product.
The product is what you hear.
I am writing this just to awake your logic and the emotion driven musical engineer in you. 99% of the people are hearing song for the emotion development in it, the message and the style. The rest 1% are those technician guys that no matter what you are doing they will always criticize you, so don’t bother with them.
Aim for those 99% of the audience which are looking for music, and their affirmation will shut the mouth of the rest 1% who are looking for methods and technical parameters.
It is important to understand that it is impossible for any listener no matter how he is listening to a song to know did you do a proper parallel compression, compressing a lot and boosting 3dB on 100Hz and 10kHz, or you have done it on you’re your way by boosting 10dB on 60Hz and 8kHz. They can not now did you use your eq before compression or after compression, did you cut more that 15dB on equalizing, or did you compress 50dB of gain reduction. They can’t know it. What they know is the final product.
Focus on the final product and put in action every method and technique and knowledge that you have to became more musical audio engineer, free from thinking that you don’t do how it should be, but full with confidence that you know the rules, but you chase the envisioned sound for the project.